Site Updates (Since February 3,1998)
December 23, 2020
December 22, 2020
- Updated pages, removing old tags and banners. Site moved completely to new domain.
October 2, 2004
October 1, 2004
April 6, 2004
February 5, 2004
- Care section updated:
- Orange Lysiosquilloid from Indonesia officially named (July 10, 2003)
The large beautiful orange spearers that have captivated divers in Indonesia are named: Lysiosquilloides mapia
Click here, and here, and here to view pics.
Reference: Erdmann, M.V. and M. Boyer. 2003. Lysiosquilloides mapia, a new species of stomatopod crustacean from northern Sulawesi (Stomatopoda: Lysiosquillidae). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 51:43-47.
(Thanks to Dr. Roy Caldwell for the heads up)
April 25, 2003
- NY Times: Waikiki Beach's Unloved Backwater Spawns a Record-Setting Crustacean (Mar 5, 2003)
Murderous, google-eyed crustaceans with barbed spears and razor-switchblade appendages that can shred fish and flesh to ribbons have been captured in the shallow waters off Waikiki. Big ones. Salami-sized. The biggest ever recorded in Hawaii. Panic, however, has not set in.
(Thanks to res071u8,Erica Bergstrom for pointing out the news)
- Giant Lysiosquilla spearers invade Hawaii's Ala Wai Canal! (Feb. 14, 2003)
Health experts are not sure what is causing Mantis Shrimp found in the muck of the Ala Wai Canal to grow larger than their normal size, but one thing is clear, they say: You shouldn't eat anything out of the canal.
(Thanks to Baron Fujimoto, Benjamine Ignacio, Robert O'Conner, and Howard Chi for pointing out the news)
- My Little Garden by Frank & Jennifer Sronce and Chuck Fiterman in Stomatopod Aquaria
- Updated information for Dr. Thomas J Kariathil in Researchers Section.
- Short update on author's whereabouts (or more to the point, recent absence) recently (ahem).
September 28, 2001
September 27, 2001
September 26, 2001
- "Ming the Terrible", spearer image by O. Wong
- Updated FAQs section. The mantis shrimp boards are really heating up, especially since Dr. Caldwell decided to join in on the discussions.
September 16, 2001
September 8, 2001
- Exciting news about a possible long-term and mutualistic relationship between a stomatopod and two banded shrimps in Living 'La Vida Loca' by Linda Cline.
September 5, 2001
September 2, 2001
August 29, 2001
August 22, 2001
August 19, 2001
August 15, 2001
Secrets of the Stomatopod: An Underwater Research Adventure - If you like mantis shrimps, you do NOT want to miss reading these web pages about stomatopods (including some VERY interesting interviews with Dr. Roy Caldwell)! Learn about the most current research concerning monogamy in mantis shrimps, their possible use of polarized display signals, and the behavior of stomatopod larvae!
July 15, 2001
July 1, 2001
June 1, 2001
May 28, 2001
- Short update by the author of this site.
April 30, 2001
April 6, 2001
April 2, 2001
February 20, 2001
February 11, 2001
February 9, 2001
- External link about mantis shrimp (Squilla empusa) in the Eastern USA. I have been getting email from fishermen in Long Island, Maryland and
other places in the Eastern seaboard. They sometimes catch an unusual lobster-looking critter, which turns out to be
the common spearer Squilla empusa. This web page has some good information about this particular species and its occurence in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland.
February 7, 2001
February 3, 2001
February 2, 2001
January 30, 2001
- Multi-part Biology series: Creating Smashers Part I
A few million years ago, two visitors to our world sat under a palm-like tree and
basked in the warm breeze that swept in from the nearby sea. The tide had receded and
the two watched as beneath the gentle waves
a myriad of critters swam and ate and died in a dance of events that mirrored the
larger dance of life.
- All external stomatopod links are now part of the Open Directory Project's Stomatopoda page
January 29, 2001
January 28, 2001
January 23, 2001
- Added new stomatopod workers in Researchers' Area.
- Added the following notice in several pages to cover image use and possible copyright infringements:
- IMPORTANT: Copyright restrictions include LINKING to images in this site in external web sites and discussion/bulletin boards. This site maintains automated scripts that check the use
of images from this site in external sites and there seems to be a noticeable increase in the creation of these composite web pages. As an alternative, link to the
HTML page containing the pic instead of directly to an image file.
- The site is a web resource for the new McGraw-Hill Marine Biology book by Castro and Huber
January 21, 2001
January 20, 2001
- New multimedia section featuring quicktime and realplayer videos of mantis shrimps from sources around the web.
January 17, 2001
January 15, 2001
January 14, 2001
January 13, 2001
- Noticed that it was sometimes hard to read some of the pages. Modifed all pages for better easier reading.
January 11, 2001
- Jones' Peacock mantis shrimp in Stomatopod Aquaria Gallery
- Coming Soon: Can it be true? A stomatopod stars in an upcoming feature film!
January 8, 2001
- Been getting a lot of email about a killer shrimp that's terrorizing the Splash Zone in the Monteray Bay Aquarium. Just got back from a Florida vacation so could not post it until now. Here are two links. More info later.
December 27, 2000
- Mantis shrimp Message Board - want to exchange ideas and information with other mantis shrimp owners? Visit Adam Jones' Mantis Shrimp Discussion Board!
- I've been getting several pics from caretakers of mantis shrimps, so I've decided to open up a
new Stomatopod Aquaria Gallery , which will feature great images of kept stomatopods and extensive care information from their caretakers.
- The King! and Ruby images in Stomatopod Aquaria Gallery.
December 17, 2000
- Extensively renovated site. New design and got rid of Frontpage tags and formats, site now uses Cascading style sheets.
- Added a new Stomatopod Frequently_Asked-Questions (FAQ) section.
- Added some notes on the maintainer of site to the Author section.
December 13, 2000
December 7, 2000
December 6, 2000
December 3, 2000
December 2, 2000
November 28, 2000
November 26, 2000
November 23, 2000
November 18, 2000
November 16, 2000
November 13, 2000
November 10, 2000
November 9, 2000
February 4, 2000
December 12, 1999
November 26, 1999
August 12, 1999
August 10, 1999
August 9, 1999
August 8, 1999
August 4, 1999
- External site pic: Spearer by Howard and Michele Hall in
Island of the Sharks
July 25, 1999
July 23, 1999
July 16 1999
July 12 1999
May 8, 1999
May 6, 1999
December 31, 1998
December 22, 1998
- Care and Rearing of various species. Entry from research paper
of Dr. Reaka-Kudla.
- Biology pic of general
structure of mantis shrimps in introduction to
stomatopods (Courtesy of Jo Taylor, Museum of Victoria,
- Image of two different types of raptorial
appendages in introduction to stomatopods (Courtesy
of Dr. Caldwell).
- Gif animation of spearer
and prey moved to introduction of purpose.
- News about PBS' "Secrets of the Ocean Realm"
posted at front page.
Web Site Author: A. Sunjian
Site Created February 3, 1998
Care & Rearing |
Pest Control |
Stomatopod Logs |
Stomatopod Pics |
Stomatopods in Film |
Stomatopods in Fiction |